Did you spend time making new years resolutions? This year I decided that before setting more goals that I’d take some time to reflect on 2015. It’s been a massive year…Dash is now 15 months old, I’ve taken on a new job, got through more of my Masters degree, done some more travel and spent time expanding Pop Therapy…but what is it that I’ve learned from these things? Here are a few of my rants below!!
1) I can never be in control of everything….but that’s ok. The house will never stay perfectly clean, I will never have everything on my “to do” list done, no matter how many times I go to Coles, I’m probably still out of milk, and/or paper towels, I wanted to go to the gym but I caught a cold, then Dash caught a cold, then Dash cried, then I cried, and the list goes on…but that’s ok. I spend a good deal of my life agonising over the small things, when really, life is pretty good.
2) Mindfulness is a powerful tool to unhook from worries and anxiety provoking thoughts…it’s easy to learn, practice and integrate into your daily life….finding an activity that helps you to experience flow is a great way to become more connected with the present and engage in mindful awareness.
3) Being a parent is !@#$ing hard, but seeing Dash’s happy little face and hearing his sweet little voice is enough to melt my heart (even if he did just mash bolognese sauce into my hair and whizz all over the floor!!). Nonetheless, it takes time to adjust to motherhood, and anyone who tells you it’s a breeze, would be lying!!
4) Connections with others matter more than everything else. I’m lucky to have some amazing friends and a truly wonderful husband in my life….without people we care about to share our experiences with, nothing is as special.
5) If you’re attempting DIY fake tan application (in my case, if you’re looking to go from “translucent”, to “fair”)…use a tanning glove!! Who knew these things even existed!? They’re about $5, and would have saved me many a streak and uneven application….a tan glove!!? who knew!?
6) Having turned 30 this year, there’s no point in trying to be someone I’m not….be true to yourself, and life is a hell of a lot easier.
7) I bought this sparkling water machine for my husband Lachy, and who knew how wonderful sparkling water on tap could be!?
8) Upon becoming a parent, my hobbies and interests went from: guitar, yoga, travel…to: sleep, being able to eat an entire meal without interruption, grocery shopping without a baby etc. The point of this is that I’m realising how important it is to do the things you care about, even though life is busy. Doing things you’re passionate about is important for wellbeing, and for our sense of self.
9) I’m all for healthy eating, but these cookies are the bomb
What did you learn in 2015? Do any of these resonate with you? The cookies!?